Angelica (Angelica archangelica), also called Wild Celery and Holy Ghost, is a fragrant herb in the carrot family. Like a carrot, it’s a biennial that flowers the second year, and it has a long thick root. But it’s not a carrot. For starters, it tastes like licorice. And the plant can grow to 4'-6' tall. It prefers cooler weather and growing near running water, so congrats if you’re gardening along the riverbanks of Utopia. The rest of us can just grow it in dappled shade and make sure the soil doesn’t dry out.
The flowers, leaves, seeds, stems, and roots are all edible. Peel the young, hollow, purple-tinged stems and use like celery, use the leaves like spinach, or make a tea from the leaves, flowers, seeds, and roots.
As a medicinal herb, Angelica has been used to treat anxiety, bladder infections, bronchitis, colds, cough, fever, flatulence, indigestion, insomnia, heartburn, lack of appetite, poor circulation, respiratory issues, typhus, and upset stomach.
As a companion plant, it attracts all sorts of friendly pollinators and beneficial insects.
⚠️ Medicinal properties are presented as information only, and are not a recommendation or prescription for use. Consult a medical professional before using any herb medicinally.
SEED PLANTING TIPS
- Botanical name: Angelica archangelica
- Life cycle: Herbaceous biennial
- Hardiness zones: 4-8
- Planting season: Spring, fall
- Days to maturity: 1-2 years; can begin harvesting when 6" tall
- Depth to plant seeds: Lightly cover - seeds need light to germinate
- Days to germinate (sprout): 14-28 days
- Germination soil temps: 60F-65F
- Spacing between plants: 18"-24" apart
- Spacing between rows: 24"-36" apart
- # of plants per sq. ft.: Appx. 1 plant per 2 sq. ft.
- Soil types: Clay, sandy, loamy, silty, moist, well-drained
- Soil pH: 4.5-7.4
- Sun needs: Full sun, part shade
- Water needs: High - keep soil moist
- Cold stratify: Yes
- Frost tolerant: Yes
- Heat tolerant: No
- Drought tolerant: No
- Deer resistant: No
- Culinary use: Yes
- Medicinal use: Yes
* THE SEED SHOP *
Discover even more variety for your garden
Filter seed varieties by personality: